Unions are extremely important to workers. Some workers ignore or deny the need to unionize however there are numerous reasons why unions are important.
1) Unions give workers a strong collective voice.
2) Unions help raise wages. Union workers earn 30 percent more than nonunion workers. - U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics.
3) Union Members are more likely to have pension plans. According to the U.S Department of Labor Statistics 81 percent of union workers participate in pension plans versus 47 percent of nonunion workers.
4) Union members get to be connected to other members all over that are fighting for the same things.
5) Unions have the power to challenge the government as a collective body.
6) Unions like AFT promote democracy, human rights, and freedom.
7) Union workers are more likely to have health care plans. In March 2007, 78 percent of union workers in the private sector had jobs with employer-provided health insurance, compared with only 49 percent of nonunion workers. -U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics.
8) Unions protect the rights of worker.
9) Unions advocate for safe and healthy working conditions
10) Unions protect the rights of worker.